I am an electroacoustic composer, saxophonist, improviser and community musician..
In the last two years I have: –
- Completed a part-time Composition MA (electroacoustics) at The University of Sheffield
- Produced 16 solo works and 29 collaborative works.
- Worked closely with digital art group Genetic Moo; I was sound artist in residence for their live-streamed Microworld@Home, Mar 2020 to Jan 2021.
- Engaged with field recording, this has led to an interest in acoustic ecology, soundscape composition and ecological sound art.
- Had work presented internationally, Mexico, Canada, Portugal and Norway, for example.
Research interest: Acousmatic Storytelling*
- Dobson, J. & Schauerman, J. (Oct 2021) Transcending Boundaries: The Acousmatic Story in the Anthropocene. Cadernos de Arte e Antropologia. 10 (2): 7-23
Related Presentations: –
- Anthropocene Forum, EU, Portugal (June 2021). Joanna Dobson and I contributed to Cardenos de Arte e Antropologia’s presentation: Sonic Anthropocene – Sound Practices for a Changing Environment’.
- Mapping Music for Wellbeing, The University of Sheffield (Nov 2021). Acousmatic storytelling as a potential participatory activity for older people.
- Earth(ly) Matters Conference, Sheffield Hallam University, Postgraduate Research Students Society (Aug 2020). Presentation with Joanna Dobson on storytelling in the time of climate crisis.
In 2022 I will undertake a practice-based research PhD to explore acousmatic storytelling further.
*Conceived by composer Panos Amelides (2016), is the telling of stories using recorded spoken word set within a related composed sound world of referential recordings and transformed sounds.
Composition presentations 2020-21
- Upcoming Margate Film Festival, Kent, UK, Oct 2021
- Upcoming Exploding Cinema London, UK, Dec 2021
- Upcoming Sound Junction, University of Sheffield Sound Studios, UK, Nov 2021
- Sound Junction (online), University of Sheffield Sound Studios, UK, Apr 2021
- Sound Junction (online), University of Sheffield Sound Studios, UK, Nov 2020
- Sound Junction (online) University of Sheffield Sound Studios, UK, Apr 2020
- Old Head Post Office Radio, Sheffield, UK, June 2021
- Acoustic Frontiers, Ottawa, Canada, Feb 2021
- Two Foot Left, Sheffield, UK, Nov 2020
- Soundart Radio, Devon, UK, Sept 2020
- Radio Classica RTVE, Spain, May 2020
- SITE Projects in.oscilation, April 2020
- Upcoming Microworld UK to be announced
- Upcoming The Bog, Reflection Exhibition, The Cello Factory, London, UK, Oct 2021
- Current Microworld Kristiansand, Sørlandets Kunstmuseum, Norway, May-Sept 2021
- Current Virtual Microworld on SKMU Virtual, Jul-Sept 2021
- Earth(ly) Matters, Online, Aug 2021
- The European Union Anthropocene Forum, Portugal (Jun 2021)
- RED Ecologia Acustica, Mexico, Dec 2020
- Mapping Music for Wellbeing, Online, Nov 2021
- Earth(ly) Matters, Online, Aug 2020
- Microworld@HOME Mar 2020 – Jan 2021
Twenty-five 2-hour programmes, broadcast on Genetic Moo’s YouTube channel, documenting their digital ecosystem experiments and virtual collaborations. As Artist-in-residence, I responded to given themes on a weekly basis, producing fixed compositions and/or prepared audio material for live improvised mixing which were then transmitted via OBS and Listen To software.
Genetic Moo geneticmoo.com
Jean Hogg jeanhogg.co.uk
Stephen Carley stephencarley.co.uk
Lorenzo Prati lorenzoprati.com
Stephanie Webber stephanie-webber.co.uk