I am an electroacoustic composer, saxophonist, improviser and community musician.
I have just completed a part-time Composition MA (electroacoustics) at The University of Sheffield; during which I have produced 14 solo works and 27 collaborative works. My work has been presented internationally, on-line, on radio and as part of performance programmes, including in Mexico, Canada, Portugal and Norway.
I work closely with digital art group Genetic Moo and was sound artist in residence for their live streamed Microworld@Home broadcast between March 2020 to January 2021.
During the first UK lockdown I started making field recordings of the changed sound environment. This continued engagement has led to an interest in acoustic ecology, soundscape composition and ecological sound art.
Research Interest: Acousmatic Storytelling
This electroacoustic approach to composition, conceived by composer Panos Amelides (2016), is the telling of stories using recorded spoken word set within a related composed sound world of referential recordings and transformed sounds. I am interested in its potential: –
- as a participatory music making activity
- for raising awareness to ecological and social issues
In 2022 I will be undertaking a practice based research PhD to explore this further.
Composition presentations 2020-21
- Upcoming Margate Film Festival, Kent, UK, Oct 2021
- Upcoming Exploding Cinema London, UK, Dec 2021
- Upcoming Sound Junction, University of Sheffield Sound Studios, UK, Nov 2021
- Sound Junction (online), University of Sheffield Sound Studios, UK, Apr 2021
- Sound Junction (online), University of Sheffield Sound Studios, UK, Nov 2020
- Sound Junction (online) University of Sheffield Sound Studios, UK, Apr 2020
- Old Head Post Office Radio, Sheffield, UK, June 2021
- Acoustic Frontiers, Ottawa, Canada, Feb 2021
- Two Foot Left, Sheffield, UK, Nov 2020
- Soundart Radio, Devon, UK, Sept 2020
- Radio Classica RTVE, Spain, May 2020
- SITE Projects in.oscilation, April 2020
- Upcoming Microworld UK to be announced
- Upcoming The Bog, Reflection Exhibition, The Cello Factory, London, UK, Oct 2021
- Current Microworld Kristiansand, Sørlandets Kunstmuseum, Norway, May-Sept 2021
- Current Virtual Microworld on SKMU Virtual, Jul-Sept 2021
- Earth(ly) Matters, Online, Aug 2021
- The European Union Anthropocene Forum, Portugal (Jun 2021)
- RED Ecologia Acustica , Mexico, Dec 2020
- Earth(ly) Matters, Online, Aug 2020
- Microworld@HOME Mar 2020 – Jan 2021
Twenty five 2-hour programmes, broadcast on Genetic Moo’s YouTube channel, documenting their digital ecosystem experiments and virtual collaborations. As Artist-in-residence, I responded to given themes on a weekly basis, producing fixed compositions and/or prepared audio material for live improvised mixing which were then transmitted via OBS and Listen To software.
Genetic Moo geneticmoo.com
Jean Hogg jeanhogg.co.uk
Stephen Carley stephencarley.co.uk
Lorenzo Prati lorenzoprati.com
Stephanie Webber stephanie-webber.co.uk